Friday, July 16, 2010

Expectations. Why?

"Learning to rid myself of expectations"

Funny enough I read that today in a place, from a person, very much related to(if not the cause of) fairly recent shattered expectations... A fairly simple statement that packs a punch when applied at the right point in someones life.

Why do we have expectations? They are just Desires with a hopeful question mark at the end. A hopeful question mark and a slight lift of the tone in our voice when we dare speak them out loud. Most people are full of expectations that are in existence simply due to the nature of the world. Like college after high school. Like marriage before babies. Like turning on the faucet to the big red H and getting HOT water.

Other expectations are not as simple. Others rely on the wildly unpredictable human condition. Some people expectations are undoubtedly unwarranted and maybe even on the crazy side. Some, like I said are more common and widely accepted. And some must fall somewhere lost in between the two. Somewhere lost in Confusion. Lost in a place full of wild cards and happenstance. A lot of mine are lost in the middle. I dont know what to expect, I dont know what I should be expected to expect. Sometimes I know what I would like to occur, sometimes I dont though. See? Confusion.

How are we supposed to live in a world where almost nothing is Certain?

And I think a lot people need to have an expectation. They need to want something, they need to think about the future and what will happen in it. They need to be able to plan for what's ahead. Those people like to be safe. But it's funny cause those are the ones that need to watch out.

Thats where the danger lies in "absolute" hopeful expectations- you know the kind; the kind where It is just going to work out the way you want it to, the way you need it to. Thats when your world comes crashing down when it inevitably does. not.

So, this is why I am declaring an absence of Expectations. From here on out, I am ridding myself of this dirty word. Im not losing my hope, or anything nearly as depressing and pessimistic as that. Hope is the knowledge and desire that things will work out the way they are supposed to be in the end, well thats what it is for me anyways.

So lets cheers shall we? To no more expectations and lots of Hope.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, and second it entirely.

    I've never known how to answer the question 'what are your expectations for _____ event?' because I try not to have any. As you say, expectations are false certainty, and ending with them unmet is almost built into the system.

    Down with expectations! Up with hope and dreams!

    ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete